What's New with Bistro?
Last Updated: October 17, 2010
send e-mail. if you have
praise, issues, complaints, etc.
Release 3.6 Summary
- Bistro has been upgraded to use
(and now requires) JDK v1.6.
- The Bistro compiler was upgraded to use ANTLR 3.2.
- The old build batch files were replaced with Ant build.xml.
- See the release notes for details
and additional changes.
Summary of Recent Additions
- The metaclass: section of a Bistro class definition has become
- The IdentityDictionary and IdentitySet classes have finally been
added (based on JDK v1.4).
- The default primitive contents of a Dictionary is now a HashMap
rather than a Hashtable.
- The Bistro compiler now supports two new
assertion idioms based on
- The SmallInteger class now provides flyweight instances for more
- The Bistro compiler now supports wrapped methods.
- The Bistro compiler message optimizations have been
- The Bistro compiler code generator
was redesigned using the Visitor pattern.
- The idiom for declaring anonymous inner classes was changed (to
- A variation of Kent Beck's
framework is now included in the class library.
- The org.ansi.smalltalk package was added to support
- The Bistro class library includes behavior, magnitude, geometry,
collection, stream, test, and example packages.
- The Bistro class library largely conforms to the message protocols in
ANSI Smalltalk standard.
- The Bistro class library is code complete, but it still needs
ANSI compliance tests implemented.
- The Bistro collection class implementations depend on the Java
collection class framework.
- Bistro requires a compilation environment compatible with
JDK v1.6 or
- The release archives include a
complete set of library APIs generated by javadoc.
- The Smalltalk to Bistro conversion
utility supports Squeak,
Smalltalk, and VisualWorks.
Acknowledgements - Special Thanks To:
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates.
is a trademark of Geeknet, Inc.
Permission is granted to copy this document provided this
copyright statement is retained in all copies.
Copyright 1999-2010 Nikolas